Do you plan on issuing certificates for your students, course participants, or webinar attendees? In this article, we’ve curated a list of the best free apps you can use to create certificates. We analyzed available functionalities, possible integrations, and ease of use.
Check all the major free certificate apps and choose the most suitable solution, streamline your processes, and spend less time issuing certificates.
1. Certifier - design, issue, and send certificates online for free
Certifier is the best application for creating and managing certificates online. It’s an extremely user-friendly and functional online app with an easy-to-use and intuitive interface. The tool provides all features necessary for building, designing, issuing and sending certificates. It’s not just a visual editor paired with templates.
- Best free version: excellent for a small online school or online creators.
- Huge library of free certificate templates.
- Powerful visual editor for editing templates or creating certificate design from scratch.
- Possibility to use dynamic elements, for example a list of different names.
- Built-in email sender for issued certificates.
- Possibility to download ready documents in various formats: PDF, ZIP, etc.
- No mobile app available to create certificates on the go (only a browser app).
- All features related to creating certificates, no features dedicated to other aspects of the business, etc.
2. Canva - free online graphic design editor
Canva is one of the most popular graphics editors. This solution offers many templates for creating certificates or diplomas for students, as well as gift certificates for customers.
- Huge library of certificate design templates.
- A lot of features apart from those related to creating certificates, e.g., editor of visuals for social media.
- Free version available.
- No feature for creating certificates in bulk using dynamic data.
- No feature for sending certificates to students via email.
- The app does not specialize in certificates creation.
- No feature for analytics and managing issued certificates.
3. SimpleCert - certificate management system
SimpleCert is a complete certificate management system. This tool enables you to build personalized certificates and email templates by adding your own text and images.
- Paid package with affordable prices.
- Possibility to distribute certificates (email sender).
- Possibility to use and upload dynamic data.
- Limited free package (only 10 certificates available).
- Bad interface and a very old app.
- No API for potential integrations.
- Lack of modern certificate design templates.
4. Bannersnack - free certificate maker
Bannersnack is a tool similar to Canva. It’s also a popular online graphic editor offering lots of templates, including certificate templates. However, it doesn’t provide features enabling even a basic certificate management process.
- A library full of beautiful certificate design templates.
- Functional online graphic certificate editor.
- Additional features for social media and video editor.
- Attractive package with up to 10 free designs.
- No possibility to upload a recipients’ list (with names, dates, etc.).
- No feature enabling bulk generation of certificates.
- No built-in email sender.
- No features dedicated strictly to certificates.
- No option of analytics of the issued certificates.
5. CertificateMagic - very simple certificate creator
If you don’t pay attention to the fact that the software looks like it was made in 2000, it can be pretty handy. It’s a very simple solution for issuing certificates for personal needs. You can use it to create certificates for sports events, diplomas for school competitions, etc.
- A very simple tool, you can create a certificate in 2 min.
- It’s totally free.
This is where the pros end.
- Very limited editor features.
- No registration and no possibility to store templates.
- No possibility to email certificates.
- No option of creating certificates in bulk (with dynamic attributes).
- No option of analytics of the issued certificates.
6. Visme - online certificate maker
Visme app is also very similar to Canva and is widely used to create visuals for social media posts, infographics, or presentations. It also offers features for creating certificates.
What’s more, Visme provides a few more features related to certificate creation compared to other graphic editors.
- Ready-made certificate design templates.
- Features enabling sending certificates via email.
- Features enabling uploading elements from other documents.
- Library of certificate templates.
- A very limited list of features in the free package (importing to pdf not available).
- Only 26 online certificate templates are available, and 14 of them are not included in the free package.
- The app does not specialize in certificates.
7. Google Docs - create certificates with Google Slides
Yes, it's very popular among creators of small online courses to create certificates using Google Docs. Being free and relatively fast, yet, it's not a super professional way to issue certificates.
- Totally free. No limitations.
- Comfortable Google editor, available via standard browsers.
- You can connect Google Docs with other Google apps to enable the automatic creation of certificates by uploading a recipients’ list with names.
- No ready-made templates to use.
- No ready-made features - need to create certificates from scratch.
- No analytics and certificate management features.
I may be biased, but if you look closely at the features and possibilities offered by different free certificate creators, Certifier seems like the most convenient and powerful free software for creating, issuing, and sending certificates.
If you are a content creator and looking for a certificate maker, it will be the right fit for you.